Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Something Special Happened Yesterday.


Thing 2 had a birthday. Yup. She did. She is 1 years old. All morning long Thing Uno and I sang Happy Birthday to her. Of course, 1 sang the lesser known part of, NO! It's not her birfday party! We only sing Happy Birfday at birfday parties! By 10 a.m., however, Thing 2 grew weary of Happy Birthday. She stopped clapping after each rendition, which is a pretty big deal considering she just learned how and never ceases to do so. Apparently, she'd had all the Happy Birthday she could handle. Fortunately for her, my Better Half and I are carrying on the traditions of my father--er mother, rather--and did not have any festivities planned for today (as in the actual day of her birthday) other than the spontaneity of song-bursting. What? He's got tests and I've got 5 a.m. Weekends are much better for us. Though, I didn't have to teach seminary that morning and should have had a tad more energy--should being the operative word--and would have, had any of my (two) students let me know they were honoring Thing 2's b-day by sleeping in--a.k.a. NOT SHOWING. 6 a.m. no shows make for an angry anybody, let alone a mom with two Things. I pray every night that my Things will simply skip over ages 13-17 and grow into attractive, wise young adults. I am pretty sure with all the teenage angst--including my own hole-in-the-wall-kicking years--I've experienced in my wee little lifetime The Man will grant me this wish. Yup. Pretty sure.

Digressions aside, Thing 2, here are some of the reasons we adore you. I will refrain from listing the things that we...uh...don't adore in the very small instance that you do not skip your teenage years. That way when you read this, you can't blame your horrible, no good, very bad LIFE on me and the things I said when you were 1. Ha.

We adore you because:
  • you might love playing peek-a-boo more than you love us. I have a video, but my Better Half has not given clearence as to its post-age yet--just FYI.
  • you just got your first teeth, just shy of a year, and you've figured out how to use one of them to bite with.
  • you still look like you did at 9 months old, thus, keeping you little, and me with out hunger for another.
  • you give loves--performed by placing one's head onto anothers' shoulder--to any and everything, dirty old rugs included, especially when you're tired.
  • you let us hold you once in a while.
  • you have the baldest head this side a'the Mis'sippi.
  • you love your blanket with all your might, mind and strength. We can tell this by the technique in which you tackle it upon sight.
  • anytime we sing to you, you join in with your own melody, duh-duh, da, duh-duh... Sometimes you even lead.
  • you giggle kick every time we come to retrieve you from your crib.
  • you are precious, adorable, and full of life.
  • you are you.
Happy Boody to ya, 2.
We wish you every happiness. May you forgive us for your chaotic, unconventional life which was the causing of many of your nap-skippings and the learning of nothing more than sarcasm and wit.

17 comments:

Rachel said...

I love Perry!!! She's so fat and cute!! Great post...hilarious as always.

Nicea said...

Happy Birthday, GrandThing 2! You ARE adorable and your mommy made a darling post toast to your specialness. We love, love, love you.

Alesha said...

Awe cute post! Little Perry is one! Cant believe it! I love her thighs in the first pic!

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday Perry! You are still Lily's favorite baby Perry!

Sherry Carpet said...

gorgeous chubs! both great pictures. happy boody, 2.

annie said...

still haven't gotten enough of her precious-ness. guess i'll just have to come back.

happy boody to ya, 2!!

abbyjane said...

Sherry, I love the new do.

gina bina said...

She's a doll!

Jana Brookes said...

Happy Birthday Per!!! (do you ever call her that?) everything is abbr. now right?
Sorry about dealing with early morning seminary kids. I was once one, and can't say I didn't ever skip, sleep through it, and make my my teacher mad. I give you permanent permission to be scarred for life from early mornings!
Perry is so PRETTY! Not just cute and cuddly, but just so very beautiful!! Nice job abs! Let her make you hungry for more!:)

Team Fraser said...

awe Perry so cute! I can't wait to see you guys I hope you freaking have time this time you come!

Amanda Moore said...

I love that chubs little girl! And yes Jana, abbrvs. are tots in. They're tots awes.

Betzy said...

Happy Birthday Perry! I forgot she's only a few days younger than Yahnissi. Don't know about you but the cute babyness they still have is what makes me want another one so as to always be surrounded by babies!

Anthony and Kristie said...

She is precious, Happy Birthday Perry.

Shawn said...

Loved this post and love these pictures!

Michaelson Family said...

She is adorable. I love, love, love the pictures you posted.
You guys are so hilarious!
Happy Holidays!

Bree said...

It pains me to say this... but she's rivaling the cuteness of my own thing. Don't tell him I said that. And know that I would not throw that comment out there if I didn't REALLY mean it!

I love you abs. I had no idea until this bloggy started what a talented writer you are!!

The Brown Family said...

She is so beautiful! I miss her! We need to hang out soon.
What are you guys doing over x-mas and new years??
We'd love to have you come down!!!