Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Might as Well Be a Four Letter Word

This evening as I was getting Max's shoes on to go spend our tax return (ya baby!) on a much needed double stroller, he asked me why we needed to get shoes on when we went bye bye. I told him that we put shoes on so we can protect our feet from germs and things that might hurt them (glass, nails, etc) that are laying on the ground. He thought about that answer and then said, "Why? Why do we need to protect them from that stuff?" I told him that germs and cuts on our feet can make us very very sick and that's not good. He paused to think about this answer and then said,"Why?" My heart sank. OH NO, I thought, What if we've entered the never-ending "why" questions nonsense? What will I do? I don't remember exactly what I said, but apparently I sufficed his curiosity because that was the end of that conversation.
We went about the rest of the night without another "why question" cycle and I was beginning to think I was in the clear. Oh, but no...
As I put Max down for bed he asked me if he could have quiet shoes in bed with him to sleep (Quiet shoes are my shoes that he is allowed to wear because they don't make too much noise on our wood floors). I told him no. He asked me why. I told him that shoes aren't for bedtime. He asked me why. I told him because they have germies on the bottoms of them. He asked me why. I tensed a little and then said,"Because we walk around outside and on dirty floors with our shoes on and that's where the germies come from." He asked me why, but it was more like, "But whhhyyyy?"

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

After several more back and fourths, I defused the conversation. "I don't know, honey, you'll have to ask Heavenly Father because He knows everything."
"Oh," He said.
It worked! Yay!
"And Jesus?" he continued.
"Yup. And Jesus. Goodnight buddy."
"Goodnight Mommy," as I shut the door.

The Man Upstairs must be urging more patience upon me...or Max just really really wants to know about germies. If that is the case he is going to have to ask Gramma Mesha as she is the one who made up such words as coldy, all-gonny, and germies. It just leaves me asking with pleading eyes heavenward, "WHY?"

19 comments:

Lola said...

I love this post because I can totally hear you saying germies and it makes me chuckle. =)

The Marsing's said...

Love the post! Hehehehehehe

Chuck said...

I hope you are preserving all of this for posterity! It's wonderful to read now -- but years from now it will be priceless. We miss you all! GREAT POST!

Team Fraser said...

ha ha! But he is just so cute!

Rachel and Tyler said...

We have not quite gotten to this phase yet. but i think we are approaching it. you will have to keep me updated on what answers work best!

Melinda Szarek said...

Man oh man... I miss that kid!

Please tell him Aunt Mel loves him bunches and bunches!!

Gina said...

That is really cute. I'll have to remember that one for when the "why"s come our way.

Alesha said...

Oh not fun! Koen is just getting into the not taking my first answer as the last...so annoying!

The Brown Family said...

Too funny! Gotta love Max! Good answers on your part...I'm very impressed and will one day have to steal that idea ;o)

gina bina said...

Hi Abby! Remember when we ran into each other at a grocery store in Salt Lake? What was that like 2 years ago or something? Anyway, I just wanted to say hi! What a darling little family you have :).

Gina

Kristy said...

I know right? Think of it this way (because I am on my second that I feel I have to explain the world to and I just thought of this). This is how he learns things and that is our job. or so Matt tells me. I am like what I have to teach them stuff too. Ha ha

AnneMarie said...

How funny! Good thing someone knows all the answers. hehe. I'm going to have to try that one out on Braden.

AnneMarie said...

How funny! Good thing someone knows all the answers. hehe. I'm going to have to try that one out on Braden.

Megan said...

Abby, what's up girl! Long time no see! It's good to see you're doin so well. Reading your posts takes me back to Mr. Down's class when I used to edit all your papers. I always loved your writing style. :)

Stacey said...

That is great... I have to say that I just went through the same WHY? fas with Ava. I used the ask Heavenly Father and it worked but it took me a week to think of it :(

Bree said...

Ha ha! I love the Why stage. I remember going through it myself. Everything needed an answer. Even the answers need answers. Too cute.

The Marsing's said...

Jefe, you're slackin....no posts in how long???????

Corinne said...

Hey Abby!! I know EXACTLY how you feel! Max looks just like you!I love it! Perry is darling. Can you believe our kids will be 3 in just 2 months? Time flies. I have loved catching up on your blog!

Meg said...

That is the cutest little "mommy frustration" story I have ever heard! You are a cute Mommy Abby!