Monday, June 30, 2008

Adventures in Laundro-land

As my better half posted previously, we've been spending some time at the laundromat.  We will be spending more time there if we don't find us one-a-them warshing machines soon.*  The most recent stint was spent by yours truly and was my first experience at such a venue.  Contrary to my expectations, however, I did not leave the place feeling dirtier (as I do most of Buffalo's public places inhabited by the poor and lowly) then when I entered--nor did my clothes.  This is what I like to call a success!  In fact, I dare say, I actually enjoyed my visit to the laundromat.  Who wouldn't want to wash and dry several loads of laundry all at the same time while watching Ellen on a fuzz-less** television?  Exactly.  The down side?  You have to pay to ride this ride.  That being said, I will tell you what else I saw (Ellen wasn't the only entertainment on the docket, my friends) and you can tell me if would be worth it to you to pay $3.00 a load to see (and do) such things: 

1.  A man donned in a baby blue velour jogging suit (complete with bling and afro) strut his stuff around the joint as if he owned the place.  Then later see him strutting his shirtless self around the joint and begin to think, maybe he does own the place because it is not that hot outside.  Only to find out that he did not, in fact, own the place, but just needed to wash the shirt off his back as I witnessed him pulling the shirt out of the dryer, sniffing it, and apparently satisfied with its freshness, replacing it on his torso.  Literally ALL of his laundry was done.  Although, that was the only piece of laundry I actually saw him with the entire two hours I was there...

2.  A nice girl, friend of Baby Blue (I know not if they were friends prior to this outing, but three shared nicotine breaks later?  Buddies for life) needed to wash her sneakers.  A quick cycle from the industrial strength machine and they were ready for the dryer.  Unfortunately (for whom, I'm not sure) as the now clean sneakers (and other apparel) tumbled 'round n'  'round in the dryer, they kept knocking the door open, sending items, including iddy-biddies, flying through the air onto the tile below.  She, having stepped outside for one of the aforementioned "breaks", was oblivious to the lacy pink scandal that lay about the floor.  I looked around to see who was watching.  No one.  Good.  Then, turning my gaze to what lay at my feet, I contemplated, Do I pick it up? It's a thong!  A pink lacy thong!  Stream of consciousness continued:  Of course, it has just been washed.  I can't just pretend I didn't see it, it's RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. Having already seen a man perform a similar deed for her the first time the dryer door bounced open (though, I am certain he did it more for his own pleasure than anything), I decided I would do the same samaritous act.  WWJD.  Thumb and forefinger in position, I bent over, plucked the lacies from the ground and returned them to their home, suppressing the urge to gag and shudder.  There, I thought as I dusted off my hands.

3.  Ever wonder how the African American male is able to walk whilst his trousers slink around his thighs?  Well, let me tell you:  After Baby Blue was again fully clothed (see #1) , I watched him take the front of his excruciating large velour pants (did I mention they were baby blue?) tie the drawstring loosely, take a safety pin, and--wait for it--fasten the front and center of the waistband to his boxers.  Thus, leaving the rear of his pants to sag ever so deliberately beneath his buttocks.  Who'd a thunk?  I say, pure unadulterated genius. 

Until next time, I'm Abby Jane.  Tune in next week for more adventures in laundro-land, as we still have not a washing machine.* 

*How is one supposed transport a washing machine(s) found for screaming deals on Craig's list to its new home in a 1999 Toyota Corolla?  Exactly.
**our current T.V. status is such:   CW, Fox=clear as day; ABC=watch-able, but snowy; NBC, CBS=non-existent (ba-bye Oprah).

20 comments:

Jana Brookes said...

This is hilarious. I love reading your blog. The thong, the baby blue suit. I just cracked up imagining you picking up the pink lacy thong. Oh, poor Abby, I can see that you had a major debate going on in your head. You are such a good little samaritan. What a laundromat. Sounds like you have it all figured out. I say skip buying the washer/dryer and keep on buying your $3 a load entertainment.
Never mind. Doing laundry in my own house right next to all our bedrooms in pain in the butt! Hauling it around is even worse. Go for the washer/dryer of your own!!

Danica Osborn said...

u are such a good writer abby! that was delightfully entertaining...although reading about others' uncomfortable situations often is. :)
as an fwi...penske will often do really cheap truck rentals if you can't find someone in the ward with a truck. they price match and haggle like gypsies. we got a huge 16 footer for like $350 when we drove out to utah, not that you'll need one that big, but just to show that they're way cheap.
then again, maybe your trips to "suds'n'save" are too fun to miss.

annie said...

you are hilARious!!! and such a good writer! i'm proud of all my friends today.

Nicea said...

P.S. Funny post, Abby Jane. I'd write LOL but you'd think I'm a nerd.

Team Fraser said...

Um sorry that you can't even watch tv in your own abode...But hey like you said $3 for all that entertainment...you can't beat that...to get into the pool it's $5!!

Alesha said...

Abby everytime you write I am enthralled(is that how you spell that) Anywho I really love it! I want to come up and see your new place...can we can we?

Jamie said...

I feel ya. My last adventure to the laundromat consisted of a power failure during the middle of my washer load. My clothes were swimming for a while -- luckily only about 5 mins before the power came back on. I'm pretty sure it will be more cost-effective for me to keep going to the laundromat than to buy my own W/D, plus (as you so entertainingly point out) I'd miss out on some of the best people-watching anywhere.

The Wills Family! said...

I loved your LAUNDRO-MAT story and anxiously wait for more adventures! Thanks :)

Natabug and Thayners said...

You inspire me to almost miss the laundromat days. As I said ... almost.

Stacey said...

You are so freaking funny! I love you. For my sake only I kind of hope you don't get a washing machine soon just so that you can update the interesting things that happen at "landro-mat".

Team Fraser said...

That new family pic is AMAZING! I love it.

-Garrett-

Jeff said...

Sorry Garr. It got vetoed.

richard dandelion said...

Come on, Abby. Be honest. The pink thong was yours....

abbyjane said...

Busted.

richard dandelion said...

:-) You rule, Abby. I miss our Hungry Sunday get togethers.

Shawn said...

I AM HEADING TO THE NEAREST LAUNDRAMAT RIGHT NOW!!!!

The Brown Family said...

Hey so we have an extra washer and dryer just sitting in our basement. I'd have to talk it over with Steve... It would probably only be a lender until we moved home next fall....but lets talk more
AND, how funny are you?!

Bree said...

Soo funny. The ironic thing is that we have an extra washer and dryer sitting in our garage, where it has been for almost a full year now. PLEASE! Come take it- for free! It's worth the 29 hour drive, right? And the renting of a good truck to haul it in?

That pic of Perry in her swim suit is SO darling.

Try to call me sometime today, I need to talk to My Absy,

Kristen said...

YOu have the funniest posts ever! DOn't you know anyone who has a truck that would pick up the washer for you?? Maybe in your ward? COme on...if you can pick up a strangers pink undies then I am sure you can find someone with a truck! Good luck! Keep posting! And can I just say that your kids are so stinkin cute!!

abbyjane said...

here's the ironic part: we TOO have a washer (and dryer) in a place we cannot get to. Thanks for all the washer offers everybody!

Bree-I would drive to Texas even if you didn't have something for me...

Kristen-surprisingly, no one that we know of has a truck in our ward. However, we have had offers of minivan borrowage, for which we will use!