Saturday, February 23, 2008

A great article...and some fun

I've told a few of you about this article, and now I'm finally posting it. It was published in the City Journal, and written by Edward Glaeser, a Harvard economist. (Wow. That ought to be enough links to keep you busy for a while!). His analysis definitely slants to the right, but it is, nonetheless, a very well written article describing the rise and fall of Buffalo. The problems he discusses are not only unique to Buffalo, but many of the old cities built around the "rust belt." Buffalo, I think, just happens to be an extreme case. If anyone reads it, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Is he right?


And for those of you not interested in the article, here are some pictures. One is Max and one is Perry. Do you think they look alike? I tried to put them in black and white and have you guess who was who, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. If they weren't in blue and pink, could you tell the difference?

16 comments:

Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacey said...

I didn't read the messge above until after I looked at the pictures and didn't really notice the colors that they were in and I could not tell them apart. I thought they were both just pictures of Perry. They are so cute!

Nicea said...

WOW! I thought they were both Perry, too. By the way, who's Jane Palisade?

Bree said...

You need to post some more recent stuff of Perry! I bet she's getting so big!! :)

Alesha said...

I totally think they look alike! How cute!

Alesha said...

PS I read the article and thought it was very interesting. I didnt know you guys lived in the ghetto??? haha!! Ü

Nicea said...

Interesting article. Doesn't exactly exude a lot of hope for the city of Buffalo, does it! Are there highrise buildings there like in the picture? The voucher article was informative, especially in view of the voucher issues around here now. Good magazine. Who's Jane Palisade, I ask again?

Marissa said...

HEy guys-the article was really interesting. I remember when we traveled through Buffalo on our way to New Hampshire you could see that it was struggling in ways-but I don't know, it seemed a lot better than some of the cities we went through-Ohio is literally falling apart...
And I couldn't tell the two pics apart, they are both so cute!

Team Fraser said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Team Fraser said...

they are like twins!

Rachel and Tyler said...

I read the article and thought it was pretty interesting. I am curious what you think needs to be done for buffalo? I think they are right on when they say that they should stop trying to make it what it was and focus on making what it is better. Seriously what are the odds of it being a city of 500,000 again but it could be a much better city of 250,000. anyway your kids look a lot alike but I think Perry wins in "the biggest cheek contest"

Stacey said...

Who is Allen Greenwood and what is that picture?

Marissa said...

Yes...you definitely have the wings going for you. They are amazing! (I think we ate at someplace called Duffs-does that sound familiar? It has been awhile for us!)

The Chase's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shawn, Hayley and Jack said...

Hey long time no see. You may not even remember us. Just think back to the worst shade party you ever had :)
Anyway, congrats on the new one. She does look a lot like Max, very cute. You will have to check out our blog and see our little one!!! Well he is nine months now, time is going by so fast.Well hope all is well. I glad I found you.

Kristy said...

I remember when Max was just a baby and I have thought all along that they were twinners. So cute