Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Economics of Heaven

My last comment about Max and the ducks along with some recent conversations with friends about what type of economic system we will live by in the millennium has got me thinking. The scriptures teach several things about heaven and children. One verse tells us that of such is the kingdom of heaven, and another tells us that we cannot enter the kingdom of heaven unless we become as a little child.

Here's the thing. Have you ever watched little kids play together with toys? Most kids that I have seen are protective of their property, take toys from the weaker children, and have a hard time sharing with others unless they are compelled by their parents. This leads to the stronger and smarter kids (or you could even say those kids who work harder) ending up with a larger share of the resources. This makes me think that heaven will be a system of competitive capitalism.

Here's the other thing. Like I said in my previous post, Max was so equitable with his food while he was feeding the ducks. He freely gave his popcorn away and tried his very hardest to ensure that all of the ducks got something to eat. In other words, he controlled the resources and distributed them fairly to everyone. This leads me to believe that heaven will be more in line with communism.

So, of which child is the Kingdom of Heaven? I'm interested to hear your thoughts.
Sorry for the post Ab. I think I'll start my own blog.

7 comments:

The Marsing's said...

Sounds like you are studying economics......

Pete Stott said...

That's why I made my own blog. Marie was hogging it. I'm somebody too.

The Woods said...

Forget economics...you need to be a journalist! Uhhh....I plead the 5th on my comments though. I heard a funny joke about heaven the other day though.

Premise: St.Peter is giving a tour of heaven to new catholic arrivals.

St. Peter: I will take you through all of heaven and let you see everything God has for us here. But we'll be passing a huge wall made of stones. When we pass that wall everyone must be deathly silent until we reach the other end of the wall.

(Tour Ends)

St. Peter: I hope you all enjoyed the tour. Are there any questions?

Tourist: Yah...heaven was beautiful and everything but why did we have to be so quiet when we passed that wall of stones?

St. Peter: Oh...the wall. Well, you see, on the other side of that wall are the Mormons. (In a joking whisper) They think they're the only ones here...

Kara said...

Hmmm.. I think that when it says to become as a small child it is referring to humility and compassion. Like you said your boy wanted all of the ducks to have some bread. The scriptures also referr to children and being childish as a bad thing. (Such as being selfish with toys and not wanting to share). 1 Corinthians 13:11-"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."
P.S. this is Kara Burns Peterson. I found your blog on Alesha's and I thought I would say hi. I hope you don't mind my commenting. I would love to have you get back to me about what you think and if you disagree.... I love a healty debate! :)

Kara said...

Ok, so I looked up a talk by Elder Henry B. Erying titled "As a Child" this is a quote directly from it...
"Here is King Benjamin’s stirring description of what that change to become like a child is and how it comes to us:

“For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.” 6

We are safe on the rock which is the Savior when we have yielded in faith in Him, have responded to the Holy Spirit’s direction to keep the commandments long enough and faithfully enough that the power of the Atonement has changed our hearts. When we have, by that experience, become as a child in our capacity to love and obey, we are on the sure foundation."

Rachel and Tyler said...

communism would probably work alright if Jesus was running it- I am ok with that idea.

Marissa said...

I like your ideas...especially how there are some things about the way children interact that could be goos models for the government of people. I think that their finest trait. though, is their ability to forgive easily and help their friends when they see a need. Sydney may be stubborn and frustrating when it comes to sharing, but as soon as she sees that someone is upset or sad, she tries to fix it in her own way. Compassion is crucial.