Friday, March 7, 2008

We are now free to move about the country!

It seems that, as of late, many people have been leaving the airports a little on the ornery side-- especially if they have a connection through Chicago! I must say, despite the craziness of an over-tired two year old who can't sleep anywhere but a bed, we had a very pleasant trip from Buffalo to Salt Lake yesterday.

We go to the airport early (thank you Ryan Nielsen!!!!) and I have never seen the place as busy as it was. It literally looked like every single sports team, male and female, from the University was leaving for an away contest. That, combined with an influx of regular travelers, made the security line hundreds of people long. I haven't seen that many backed up travelers since driving on the 5 freeway in Los Angeles!! Anyway, after standing in line for a few minutes, and at this point I'm starting to think that despite our early arrival we aren't going to make our flight, a wonderful lady comes up to us and says "Since you have a stroller you qualify for 'special needs' security. Follow me!" YES!!! I LOVE STROLLERS!! So we skipped EVERYONE and happily made our way to the front of our special line.

Shortly after we got on our airplane a worried flight attendant came on the speaker and admitted that they had overbooked the flight (our first flight was to Chicago) and asked if anyone would be willing to take a later flight to Chicago, and the airline would compensate them with a $200 travel voucher plus the price of their ticket from Buffalo to Chicago. She said that anyone who would be willing to be bumped would be guaranteed to arrive in Chicago by tomorrow (Friday). She also mentioned that they needed three seats-the exact number of seats we had. I told Abby that I was down, and asked what she wanted to do. Ingeniously, Abby raised her hand and said "We'll do it if you can get us to Salt Lake." They told us they could, so we got off the plane, although it was much to Max's dismay: "I don't wanna leave!!! I wanna go to YOU-TA!!"

Well, to make a long story short, we took a plane to Baltimore, and then hopped on the flight from there to Salt Lake, and actually ended up making it to Salt Lake 30 minutes before our original flight! The ironic part about this story is that when my mom was booking our tickets she was trying to find us tickets through Baltimore (because it was faster) but they were unjustifiably more expensive!! The only downside of this story? Our stroller and car seat didn't get transferred, so they are going to ship them to us. Luckily we are visiting grandma, and grandma is always prepared! What did we get for all of our troubles? $1,000 dollars in travel vouchers good for one year! Wow, thanks! You got us on a faster flight and paid us for it!

So now I have a new goal. It seems like every time we fly southwest they run into the problem of overbooking, and offer the vouchers. My goal is to see how long we can travel on the airline's dime by taking the bump every time they offer it. I'm hoping for a streak of at least five! So maybe my title should have been, "We are now free to bump about the country!"

9 comments:

Melinda Szarek said...

Jeff, I always knew you were 'special'... and I am glad it is finally working to your advantage.

I'm so excited to see you guys!

It always amazes me how things seem to work out for you fools =)
I flew on Southwest seven times last year and never ONCE did they ask for volunteers to bump.

See you tomorrow!!

Team Fraser said...

Jeff you are funny! I'm glad that it all worked out for you!

Alesha said...

That is SO great! It is true I have had them come on and say that a few times. I always just think with Koen it isnt worth it, but for you guys it totally was! Way cool! Hope you have fun!

Stacey said...

That is great... another flight for free! I would take it! Excited to see you guys. You better bing your kids on Saturday. I know the grandparents have not seen them for a while but I wan to meet that little Perry.

Natalie said...

I love when that happens! Have fun in Utah. Maybe we'll bump into you there...my husband just surprised me with a plane ticket to leave here on Monday! I'll hope to get bumped too...

Marissa said...

Hey guys! We were sad to miss you on Saturday! We went to Roy to get our new puppy and the stress of getting all his stuff and getting him home, made us totally forget that Saturday was the day you were in town. How long are you here? If you will be here awhile, we would love to see you.

Anthony and Kristie said...

You guys are so stinking lucky. We have never flown southwest, but it sounds like we need to give them a try.

Sherwoods said...

Wow, that is great! How come stuff like that never happens to me! Have fun in good 'ol Orem!

Bree said...

Hello? What's up with that? I need to try that next time, although I'm not sure you could be as lucky as to get there earlier most times. But whatever, lucky suckers.